Friday, August 29, 2008

D2R2

I (Michele) used my kick-ass IF Planet X for this ride, the Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee (D2R2).



The first section was brutal: 12.7 miles, 2240' climbing. The climbs were pretty loose and by the time we got to the top of the climb before the first control my back was killing me. I found some old aspirin or something like that in my seat bag. Yum. Just before the first control we saw and heard a man bagpiping in his front yard.



After the first control we headed up into Vermont. My husband, Ed, got these photos before and after the state line.





The second control was at the covered bridge on the Green River back in Massachusetts. Lots of great food at this stop. We corrected our roadie error of overinflating our tires and felt much better afterwards. (I also got a nice compliment on the team kit. Thank you, Brad Sheehan!)





After the bridge it was flat for 10 miles and I felt great. :) We got to the third control, Apex Orchards and enjoyed the tastiest peaches I've ever had.



The final section had a section that the cue sheet described as a "gnarly descent." It was in fact gnarly and I had to get off my bike a couple times because I was too tired to pick the right line. We got back onto roads that looked familiar and I was so excited to finish. Here I am covered with dirt. And I did not at any point fall off my bike.



The verdict: it was better than Cats! I would ride it again and again.

The numbers:

  • 5 25-ounce water bottles consumed
  • 2 packages margarita Clif Shot Blox
  • 63.75 miles
  • 7780 feet of climbing
  • 5:20 ride time
  • 6:14 elapsed time (6:40 time limit)
  • 2 happy riders

No comments: